Fees and finance

Academic year 2016/17:

EU students

If a learner is from the EU we can look at exactly what fees they will have to pay, as well as sources of funding that may be available. If a learner is from the EU and not lived in England for the 3 years prior to the start of the course they may be subject to EU funding rules which may mean they can still receive the tuition fee loan.

Please see Guidance and Welfare for more information.

Your eligibility depends on your nationality and residency, previous study and the course you're applying for.

See the government's student finance webpages or contact the Guidance and Welfare Service for information.

Student Finance England's student finance calculator estimates the funding you could get.

Learners who are aged between 18 and 25

Learners who are aged between 18 and 25 will be expected to provide parent/s or guardians income details as they will be classed as a dependent learner. Once the learner has made the on-line application the parent/s or guardian will be sent an email asking them to provide this information. This can be done on-line at Student Finance England in the supporting an application section. Full information can be found at www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance/parents-and-partners

If the learner has no parent/s or guardian or are estranged we can advise learners on what to do next.

There are lots of useful factsheets provided by Student Finance England on the government's student finance webpages.

The Student Finance Zone is full of information, guidance and resources from Student Finance England to help you understand student finance and the funding you may be entitled to. www.thestudentroom.co.uk www.facebook.com/SFEngland

Part time undergraduate students

You can apply for a tuition fee loan of up to £6,750, depending on the fees you pay. The loan becomes payable four years after you start the course.

Full time undergraduate students

Tuition fees loan

As a student, if eligible, you'll be able to get a loan of up to £9,000 to cover your fees. You don't have to pay this back until you're earning over £21,000 a year. More about loan repayments.

Maintenance loan

You could get up to £8,200 (based on study outside London, living on your own) towards living costs, depending on your household income and where you're living. You don't have to pay this back until you're earning over £21,000 a year.

Your loan will be paid directly into your bank account each term. You do not have to pay it back until you've left university and are earning over £21,000 per year.

If you think you may be entitled to any of the funding types below, please contact Student Finance England.

Childcare grant

This Helps with the cost of childcare for dependent children aged under 15 at the beginning of the academic year (or under 17 if they have special educational needs) in registered or approved childcare. Depending on your household income, you can apply for up to 85% of your actual childcare costs, up to a maximum of up to £155.24 a week for one child, or up to £266.15 a week for two or more children. For more details on what childcare qualifies, visit www.gov.uk/studentfinance/

Parents' Learning Allowance

Parents’ Learning Allowance can help with course-related costs such as books or travel for students who have dependent children. If you are eligible, you can get up to £1,573 a year. The amount you can get depends on your household income; that is the income of your husband, wife, civil partner or partner (if you have one) and that of any dependants. If you and your partner are both eligible students, you can both apply for Parents’ Learning Allowance.

Adult Dependants' Grant

Adult Dependants’ Grant can help if you have an adult who depends on you financially. This can’t be your grown up children or any adult who gets student finance. If the adult who is dependent on the student isn’t your husband, wife, civil partner or partner then their income must be less than £3,796 for them to be classed as dependent on you. You can get up to £2,757 a year. The amount you can get depends on the income of your husband, wife, civil partner or partner (if you have one) and that of any dependants. Jobcentre Plus won’t count Childcare Grant or Parents’ Learning Allowance when working out any other benefits but Adult Dependants’ Grant will be taken into account.

Disabled Students Allowance

Disabled Students’ Allowances are changing!

This year sees the first changes to DSAs since they were introduced over 25 years ago. In that time the number of disabled students entering and succeeding in higher education has increased proving that a disability, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty isn’t a barrier to going into higher education.

What’s changing? DSAs will no longer be provided for non-specialist non-medical help

DSAs will continue to fund the most specialist non-medical help but it’s expected that universities will support students requiring less specialist non-medical help. For example, some support could be provided for groups, rather than individually and some courses could provide course notes to negate the need for note-taking.

DSA funding will no longer be provided for standard specification computers, software, and peripherals.

Almost all students now own or have access to a computer therefore standard specification computers will no longer be provided. DSAs will no longer pay for higher specification or higher cost computers simply because of the way in which a course is delivered, as all students (i.e. disabled and non-disabled) who undertake those courses will be accessing them in the same way. DSAs will continue to pay for higher specification computers where a student needs one because of their disability. Additionally, DSAs will no longer fund software and peripherals that are now standard to most students.

DSAs will no longer cover additional costs of accommodation which is provided by the HEI. Accommodation provided by the HEI should be suitable for the vast majority of disabled students under the Equality Act without any additional cost being passed onto the student.

The changes will apply to new students applying to SFE for DSAs for the first time in 2016/17 and any existing DSA students will remain on the current system of support.

NHS and social work bursaries

If you study social work or healthcare at university level, you may be able to get an NHS bursary. This is towards living costs and may also pay your tuition fees. You would not need to pay the bursary back.

Part time students may be able to get a reduced bursary.

NHS bursary website

You will usually stop being entitled to benefits on the day your course starts (not when you receive the funding award letter). It's your responsibility to inform the benefits agency that your circumstances have changed.

Government information on benefits