Fashion Design

Qualification type: Foundation Degree (FdA) Location:
Subject area: Level: 4
Leaflet Number: 465 Course Code: CR2266-01
Validated by: UCAS Code: W230
Academic year: 15/16

UCAS applications

Applications for full-time higher education courses should be made through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) website at

Institution code is M10 and course code is W230.

Call our Course Enquiry Team on 0800 068 8585 for further details.

Qualification type: 
Foundation Degree (FdA)
Subject area: 
Design and Visual Arts
Shena Simon Campus

What's the Fashion Design course about?

The fashion design and realisation course has been designed and developed in partnership with industry practitioners to ensure students are equipped students with the practical skills and knowledge employers need for a range of professional careers related to the fashion industries.

The programme is suitable for those already working in the industry and want to develop their skills and gain a higher-level qualification, or for those who want to begin a career in this area. The combination of academic and vocational skills gained on the course enable students to make an immediate contribution when they commence employment or to develop their own small business enterprise.

The Fashion and Clothing division has close links to industry and a work-based element is a crucial part of the course. Work-based learning is developed through supported industry placements for a minimum of six weeks, allowing students to gain practical, professional and business insights which prepare them for work in the fashion and textiles industries.

Students learn the full spectrum of skills and knowledge required for a career in the fashion industry and become multi-skilled in all disciplines.
All students have the opportunity to exhibit their work regularly at various events, such as the college's annual fashion show, the Clothes Show Live, and the end of year show for all creative students. Students may also have the opportunity to visit shops, museums, trade shows and exhibitions in the world's centres of fashion which could include Paris, London, New York or Milan.

The Manchester College's average tuition fees are lower than many universities

Subjects covered include:

- digital communications and supporting technologies
- developing visual communication
- historical and contextual influences in design
- materials, construction technology and crafts
- practical design and realisation
- professional practice and design management
- engaging with industry/placement and competitions

Assessment is ongoing throughout the year via set and live briefs. Assessment methods include practical demonstration, portfolio work, written assignments and presentations. There are no written examinations.

What will I be able to do after I've completed this course?

The foundation degree can lead to a wide range of careers, including pattern and garment technology, pattern cutting, or self employment. With further study, it could also lead to careers in textile design, fashion design, buying, merchandising, retail management, garment development, styling, costume design and fashion marketing or journalism.

Our previous students have an excellent track record. 60% of students who graduated in the summer of 2012 had gained employment in the fashion industry within 4 weeks of graduation and the remaining 40% have places on BA (Hons) top up courses.

What qualifications or experience do I need to do this course?

Applicants are required to have a BTEC level 3 National Diploma/Extended Diploma with Merit, Pass, Pass or a BTEC Level 3 National Certificate/Extended Certificate with Merit, Merit in a creative-related subject area, or an equivalent Level 3 qualification with appropriate content. A good standard of literacy and numeracy is an essential requirement for entry to the course. Minimum UCAS tariff points required: 160.

Mature applicants (aged 21 or over) who are able to demonstrate relevant skills or knowledge gained in employment or vocational activity may also apply.


Full time

Course length

2 Year(s)

Weeks per year


Hours per week


As the definition of full time and part time can vary from course to course, please check with the tutor as to the exact number of hours study each week this course will entail.

How much will the course cost me?

For information on HE course fees, please contact our Course Enquiry Team on 0161 203 2100.

How do I apply?

All full-time applications from students in the UK and from overseas should be made using the online application system on the UCAS website

Please note, the course information on this website is provided as a reference guide only and is subject to change. It is therefore important that you check all course details, including location, timetable, fee, etc, at enrolment as the college operates a no refund policy.