What are the aims of this course?
You'll learn a wide range of the skills required to work in the technical areas of the theatre. At the backbone of every major production is fantastic stage management, lighting, sound, set design and costume. This course is the perfect opportunity to excel in the skills you'll need for a career in technical theatre production.
You will get first-hand experience by working on college productions and will be able to master the essentials of lighting design, sound design, and stage management. You will work closely with experienced technicians, directors, producers and actors and will be an important member of the crew during productions.
What are the areas covered by this course?
- Lighting set-up and design; the different kinds of lighting required for different productions
- Sound design and working with live sound as part of the productions
- Stage management and liaising with directors and actors in the essential rehearsal periods before and during the run of a show
What qualifications do I need to do this course?
- You will be an interested and dynamic person with an engaging personality who enjoys working with a team of people.
- You will be confidently able to learn and develop your interest in how the technical aspects of theatre support the producers, director and actors.
- You will enjoy being flexible, versatile, and learning skills through a variety of situations both in the classroom and in the theatres.
- GCSE maths, grade C or above
- GCSE English, grade C or above
How is the course assessed?
You will be assessed through written work such as keeping a professional development log, and through practical demonstrations and tasks. All assessments will be carried out by highly experienced and supportive theatre professionals.
There is a very good balance of written and practical assessment throughout the course.
Which qualification will I be awarded if I successfully complete the course?
The BTEC Level 3 is recognised by universities and employers.
What will I be able to go on to do after I've completed this course?
- Extended Diploma (equivalent to three A levels)
- HNC Production Arts
What are the career opportunities?
As a part of the theatre's technician crew, you will be able to work on West End shows, or on touring shows across the UK and abroad, as well as in a huge range of experience in major producing theatres and arts centres in the region such as Lowry, Home, Contact, Royal Exchange, Palace, and Opera House.