What are the aims of this course?
Apprenticeships allow 16+ year olds to start work and earn a wage, while learning new skills that lead to nationally recognised qualifications. Apprenticeships are designed with the help of employers in the industry, so they offer a structured programme that takes apprentices through the skills needed to do a job well. Most of an apprentice's training takes place on the job but they will also have to complete off-the-job training within college by day release. Vehicle parts operations apprentices work towards a nationally-recognised competence based qualification and also a knowledge-based qualification.
What are the areas covered by this course?
The Apprenticeship covers the following:
- All aspects of health and safety, maintaining positive relationships and good housekeeping
- Giving customers a positive impression of yourself and your organisation
- Contributing to a secure workplace
- Selecting and issuing vehicle parts
- Receiving and storing parts
- Understanding how the above procedures operate
Other skills that may be studied are:
- Processing customer orders
- Returning goods into store
- Delivering parts to customers
- Processing payment from customers
- Using information technology
- Helping customers to choose products
- Providing advice and support to customers
- Maximising product sales
What qualifications do I need to do this course?
Competition for places with employers can be fierce, so applicants will need to show that they are committed, happy to work as part of a team and individually, and able to use their own initiative. Applicants must also have a work placement to undertake this course.
How is the course assessed?
The apprenticeship is assessed through work-based evidence compiled as a portfolio. There are unit end tests and written assessments for each unit studied.
Which qualification will I be awarded if I successfully complete the course?
At the end of the programme apprentices will have achieved:
- Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI) Level 2 VRQ Diploma in Vehicle Parts Competence
- IMI Level 2 VCQ Diploma in Vehicle Parts Principles
- Functional skills in Maths, English and ICT
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
What will I be able to go on to do after I've completed this course?
On completion of the Vehicle Parts Operations Apprenticeship at level 2 apprentices can go on to complete the Vehicle Parts Operations Advanced Apprenticeship.
What are the career opportunities?
Apprentices who have completed their training can carry on working, maybe get promoted or go on to higher education in a college or university.