What are the aims of this course?
Apprenticeships allow a person of any age to start work and earn a wage, while learning new skills that lead to nationally recognised qualifications. Apprenticeships are designed with the help of employers from industry, so they offer a structured programme that takes apprentices through the skills required. Most of an apprentice's training takes place on the job but they will also have to complete off-the-job training within college by day release or over a number of days in a block. Cleaning apprentices work towards a nationally-recognised competence based qualification (QCF) and also a knowledge-based qualification.
What are the areas covered by this course?
The Apprenticeship covers the following:
- Health and safety
- Communicating with customers and others
- Working as a team and individually
- Dealing with routine and non routine waste
- Plus a range of optional units
What qualifications do I need to do this course?
- have basic literacy and numeracy skills
- be willing to work as part of a team
- have a keen interest in providing high standards of customer service
- expect to work at heights and in enclosed spaces
How is the course assessed?
The QCF is assessed by work-based assessments compiled as a portfolio. The knowledge-based qualification is assessed by a multiple choice examination and a practical demonstration/assignment. Key Skills units are assessed via practical assignments, unit end tests and online exams.
Which qualification will I be awarded if I successfully complete the course?
At the end of the programme apprentices will have achieved:
- City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Cleaning and Support Services Skills (QCF)
- City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Cleaning Principles
- Functional skills in Maths, English and ICT
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
What will I be able to go on to do after I've completed this course?
On completion of the Cleaning Apprenticeship at level 2 apprentices can go on to complete an Advanced Apprenticeship. Apprentices who have completed their training can work as a cleaner, industrial cleaner, street cleaner or window cleaner or perhaps go on to complete further training in a college or university.
What are the career opportunities?
Apprentices who have completed their training can work as a cleaner, industrial cleaner, street cleaner or window cleaner or perhaps go on to complete further training in a college or university.